Subject: Re: LC475 with Applie LC card (SONIC)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/2000 06:49:30
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Hiroyuki SATO wrote:
>
>> I tried the GENERIC kernels of 1.4, 1.41 and 1.42 on the machine, and
>> found the LC card is detected wrong as "ae0", while it should be "sn0".
>> The customized kernels of 1.4 and 1.4.1, which I build without device
>> description of "ae" in configuration, boot with the LC card, but detected
>> MAC address is wrong and "ifconfig" fails.
>>
>> It looks that new sources for the device "sn" are available in 1.4.2, i.e.
>> "dev/if_sn.*" etc., but "cpp" complains during building procedure and
>> fails to complete on 1.4.2 with bear LC475 without LC card.
>> How can I make customized kernel that work with LC card with 1.4.2 based
>> source codes, or, does anyone kindly build a kernel for LC475 with LC card?

>> A kernel I need is almost the GENERAL kernel, except definition of the "ae"
>> device.

The "sn" ethernet isn't new to 1.4.2, it's been around for a long time.
There are different variants of the card though and some don't work with
the driver.  I've been using my "sn" ethernet since the days of 1.3.  In
fact the GENERIC 1.4.2 kernel contains full support for then "sn" card on
my system.

Someone else worked a bit on trying to get their Sonic ethernet card
supported and in the process broke the existing "sn" devices at one time.
 I'd be happy to verify that any new changes don't break the existing
device support on my system so this doesn't happen again.

-bob