Subject: Re: LC475 with Applie LC card (SONIC)
To: Hiroyuki SATO <g4lc@holsten.mech.hirosaki-u.ac.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/2000 06:42:36
On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Hiroyuki SATO wrote:

> I tried the GENERIC kernels of 1.4, 1.41 and 1.42 on the machine, and
> found the LC card is detected wrong as "ae0", while it should be "sn0".
> The customized kernels of 1.4 and 1.4.1, which I build without device
> description of "ae" in configuration, boot with the LC card, but detected
> MAC address is wrong and "ifconfig" fails.
>
> It looks that new sources for the device "sn" are available in 1.4.2, i.e.
> "dev/if_sn.*" etc., but "cpp" complains during building procedure and
> fails to complete on 1.4.2 with bear LC475 without LC card.
> How can I make customized kernel that work with LC card with 1.4.2 based
> source codes, or, does anyone kindly build a kernel for LC475 with LC card?
> A kernel I need is almost the GENERAL kernel, except definition of the "ae"
> device.

Let me see if I understand. You have 1.4 or 1.4.1 binaries, you have
1.4.2 sources, and you are trying to build a kernel for 1.4.2? Try
updating "config" before configuring for the new kernel.

> I've checked "http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/ethernet.html", but
> the test kernel on the page is not served at present.  The kernel
> "netbsd_PB550c_SONIC" detects "sn0", and MAC address is correctly detected.
> It fails, however, at "setting tty flags".

That's interesting. That must be a current kernel, and it's failing to
boot completely because you don't have the ttyE* devices. You could
get /basesrc/etc/etc.mac68k/MAKEDEV from current sources; "cd /dev;
/bin/sh MAKEDEV wscons", to see if the problem is fixed in current,
but many other things will not work because of the version mismatch
(1.4Z kernel, 1.4 userland).

If the problem is truly fixed in current, you might consider upgrading
to current, but _please_, before you do that, "send-pr" against
NetBSD-1.4.2 (put that after "Release:"), so the fix can be factored
out and pulled up to 1.4.3. Thanks!

Frederick