Subject: A few questions on installing new pkgs
From: Pat Plummer <ppat@micron.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/2000 23:25:02
Dear All:

Through the extreme patience of Bob Nestor and Gabriel Rosenkoetter (thanks
for enduring my questions), I've finally gotten a superficial handle on
installing packages to my BSD 1.4.2 box (Q840/32/500). I have the pkgsrc
setup installed and this in itself has been very helpful on figuring out
what packages are needed for a particular installation.

I'd like to install kde as my x window system.

My questions now are this:

Version 1.1.2 of kde requires packages (gmake 3.7.9, Mesa 3.1, and tiff
3.5.5) that are not yet available for mac68k.

- Do I install the next most recent package (which is available for mac68k)
and if I do, what problems might I expect ?

- Should I instead try to find these packages on another platform and try to
compile them as Gabriel suggested to me?

- Should I not even think about kde as an x windowing system because of
performance issues?

Thanks for any help.

Pat

--