Subject: Re: mac68k Questions
To: None <jah@undef.jmac.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/2000 18:00:55
jah@undef.jmac.org wrote:

>Hi.  I am going to be installing NetBSD on a Mac IIsi.  I was curious
>about a few things:
>
>* In the INSTALL.txt file, it does not say what _names_ we should give to
>the root, swap, and user partitions thast we create.  It's possible to set
>the names of these partitions in the partitioning utility, and possibly in
>Mkfs.  So what names should those partitions have?  (that is, what names
>should the macintosh itself recognize them as having, as opposed to what
>FreeBSD filesystem names they should have.. or are the two things the same
>thing?)

There are a couple of fields that contain names.  The important ones are
not modifyable by the user with most 3rd party formatters or with Mkfs.
Mkfs does set a default name for the partition based on it's designated
type and it's probably best to leave then set this way.  At one time the
Kernel did search for strings in this field and if it still does the Mkfs
defaults will satisify it. So the basic answer to your question is it
probably doesn't matter what you name them.  For what it's worth the
MacOS name of a partition isn't stored in any of the fields in the Map
Block Entry either.

>* Another thing. How about explicitly stating exactly how big the root,
>swap, and usr partitions should be?  I want to have X windows running on
>my Mac, and I have 17 megs of RAM. I am not going to run my machine as a
>server of some kind.

This is a hard question to answer because it depends on so many things,
like how you will use the system, the number of expected users, what they
plan on doing, etc.  For a new user starting out on the mac68k port maybe
the best advice is to have a SWAP at least the size of RAM and throw
everything else that you can at a single partition which will be a
Root&Usr.

-bob