Subject: New Install on a PBook 180c
To: Port-Mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Darrell Horrocks <dhorrock@falcon.fste.ac.cowan.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/2000 11:23:51
Hi All

After inheriting an oldish mac, I am keen to get it working with a copy of
NetBSD.  After a week of work, I am now a lot closer to achieving this, but
I need some help, particularly from any people with the 180c out there.

I come from an i386 background, so after frantically learning the basics of
Mac architecture, I managed to get the required mac apps installed, and the
required packages (base, etc and kernel) installed.

This was round one, as the machine didn't boot.  Poring through the mailing
list archives found that it was probably the kernel (couldn't see the root
partition).  I downloaded another GENERIC kernel (later version) and found
that this one gave me errors in the root filesystem, and another format and
reinstall was in order.  This one was also documented in the mailing list
archives.

ANYWAY, I then downloaded the complete 20000506 snapshot (all parts) and
found that I now have the error (that keeps scrolling) Process (PID 1) got
signal 11.  This of course does not let me do a lot more.

Can someone please help, particularly with regard
1) To get a workable installation on a PB 180c, which snapshot/release
should I be using.
2) Which kernel should I be using
3) Any miscellaneous that you think I should be aware of

Thanks for that.  I may also be jumping the gun (seeing that I can't even
get a shell yet) but has anyone successfully set up X-windows on a PB??

TIA

Darrell