Subject: Re: Quadra 700 With PowerPro 601 Card
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2000 17:51:00
At 5:21 PM -0500 5/24/2000, Erik Winkler wrote:
>Can anyone comment of the difficulty of getting NetBSD running on a
>Quadra 700 with a Daystar PowerPro 601 card?  I realize that NetBSD
>would have to be recompiled from userland for the PowerPC 601
>processor.  Since the Daystar card uses all of the Quadra 700 hardware,
>except the CPU, this might actually work with NetBSD.  Any comments,
>support or suggestions are welcome.

Correction: the difference is the PowerPC CPU *and* the PPC<->68k bridge chip.

My PowerMac 5200 uses a design almost identical to a PPC upgraded Q630, and
the big stumbling blocks I've hit (in porting linux) are a: modifying bootx
to tell me I'm not on a real powermac (I don't have codewarrior) and b:
grokking the undocumented weirdness of the bridge chip.

There's also other fun little details, like the 5200 (and assumably 68k
upgrades) are, unlike an untouched 68k or real powermac, not
cache-coherent, though that shouldn't affect *too* too much.

Anyways, that's the short answer. For the long answer, ask David Gatwood. :)

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler       Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire     nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada                     http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/