Subject: Re: Quadra 950 status
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2000 13:01:23
On Wed, 24 May 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Tip of the day: bug repeatedly.
>
> Don't. :-) I heard from Erik Fair that he now has a new job within
> Apple. They were wanting to charge developers, which doesn't really fly w/
> open source. He's much happier with his current digs. :-)

So is there an open source contact at Apple anymore (other than the Darwin
guys)?

> Also, the one time he and I went out to lunch, he said the emphasis of
> what he was doing/getting the higher-ups to ok was to make macs appealing
> for open source hardware sales. i.e. he didn't see the ability/support to
> get info on discontinued products.

That's rather unfortunate.  The big reason Apple has been largely ignored
by Open Source movements is that only the very latest hardware is
documented, and those sorts of machines aren't generally the kinds of
things you want to relegate to running a web server in a closet somewhere.
:-)

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.