Subject: Re: using tcsh as default root shell - Take 2
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jeffbsd@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2000 20:35:05
--- Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> wrote:

> Let me re-phrase the question: Is it you really want root's shell to
> be tcsh, or you want to be using tcsh when you do root admin work?
>
> The difference is there are two ways to do the latter while leaving
> root's shell alone. 1) use the su -m command which will use your
> shell once it gets to root (Thanks to Colin for telling me about this
> one).

Now this I like. I don't care what root is for real just as long as I
don't have to try to remember to change shells first thing every time I
su. (Nothing worse than trying to 'up-arrow' to a previous command and
getting keyboard gibberish.)

> 2) Make a new UID 0 account which has tcsh as its shell. Just don't
> name it "root". I use "croot" personally. :-)

As far as this goes, I've never fully understood how two accounts can
have the same UID. I thought each account had to have a unique UID.
What's the implication of the second root-like account? If actual root
gets pooched, you can log in as root#2 and patch things up for root#1 ?

Thanks,

Jeff