Subject: Re: Quadra 950 status
To: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2000 17:19:00
> Has there been significant progress since the June 26, 1999 news that the
> Q950 is usable from the serial console?  Where can I read more about
> setting up NetBSD on this machine (and how to install a serial console)?

I don't think so.  I haven't had time to bang on it and I haven't heard
of anyone else working on it.  The serial console is pretty easy to
install--connect a terminal or PC or something to the modem port of your
machine and configure the booter to boot with the serial console on
the modem port at the specified speed.  There should be docs on this
somewhere.  It's usually a good idea to dbl-check the serial connection
with ZTerm or some such before trying to boot.

> And who at Apple should I lobby to release the secret information about
> this series? :^)

Heh.  I've already tried--back when I paid them for the priviledge of
bugging them about it...

> P.S.  I recently saw a picture (found via a link in a message to the
> macppc list which I've sadly deleted) of four IIci machines linked in some
> kind of "SMP" configuration.  Is this something I could do with my two
> IIcx?

This was a joke.  You can see the image on one of the NetBSD web
pages...  http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...  :-(

-allen