Subject: Re: using tcsh as default root shell - Take 2
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jeffbsd@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2000 08:44:06
On Mon, 22 May 2000, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> Okay, let me try this again without starting a religous war...

:-)

> I am going to be building && installing tcsh through the packages
> system.
>
> I want to make it so that the libraries are statically linked.

Actually the lingo is that the program is statically linked (the program
is statically linked to the libraries).

> What do I have to do within the above constraints to accomplish this?

I'm not sure. The thing is that the package system is designed to give you
one particular setup (which the NetBSD package folks support). As it
stands, the tcsh package gives you a dynamically linked binary. While you
could modify the package to statically link, you'll have to modify the
package each time you build it. That could get frustrating.

Let me re-phrase the question: Is it you really want root's shell to be
tcsh, or you want to be using tcsh when you do root admin work?

The difference is there are two ways to do the latter while leaving root's
shell alone. 1) use the su -m command which will use your shell once it
gets to root (Thanks to Colin for telling me about this one). 2) Make a
new UID 0 account which has tcsh as its shell. Just don't name it "root".
I use "croot" personally. :-)

Take care,

Bill