Subject: Re: using tcsh as default root shell
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/2000 19:13:14
At 4:05 AM +0000 5/22/00, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>In article <20000521233601.8853.qmail@web1102.mail.yahoo.com>,
>Jeffrey Ohlmann <jeffbsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > It's been a while, but I can recall discussion here once of reasons not
> > to make tcsh the shell for root in /etc/passwd. However, someone did
> > mention that if tcsh were compiled with static links (or something to
> > that effect) it would be okay.
> >
> > If anyone understands what I'm getting at, I'd appreciate a point in
> > the right direction.
>
>Tcsh is too bloated, and our csh has most of the bug fixes from tcsh.

Not the point.  What Bill Studenmund said is the point.  You want the
shell used by root to be statically linked so you can maintain your
system.  That probably also means small.  What you do for a user
account or an alternate root account for maintaining a working system
is a matter of taste.

Personally I use csh out of pure reactionary conservatism.  So there.  ;-)