Subject: Re: 256 Color X-Windows, Shag-a-delic Bay-Bee
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/2000 13:01:20
> > I am running the color X server on my Quadra 605 with the KDE desktop.
> > Everything works great, only the colors are all whacked out.  Austin
> > might like it, but it's a little hard on my eyes.  Grey scale looks
> > fine, but it defeats the purpose.  Is there any way to get correct color
> > maps with only 256 colors with NetBSD?
>
> In one word: No.
>
> Well, the answer to your question is technically "yes", but the server
> is not coded to do that.

To expand on this a little more, Michael Zucca has been working on the
code to provide a common interface for userland programs (like the X
server) to manipulate video hardware.

Once that's at least partly in place, someone could update the X server
to use that interface.  The unaccelerated machine-dependant X server code
for this is pretty easy...  We just have to plug in a few hooks--the
standard cfb 8-bit support is plenty for us.

-allen