Subject: Re: using tcsh as default root shell
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/2000 04:05:05
In article <20000521233601.8853.qmail@web1102.mail.yahoo.com>,
Jeffrey Ohlmann <jeffbsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's been a while, but I can recall discussion here once of reasons not
> to make tcsh the shell for root in /etc/passwd. However, someone did
> mention that if tcsh were compiled with static links (or something to
> that effect) it would be okay.
>
> If anyone understands what I'm getting at, I'd appreciate a point in
> the right direction.

Tcsh is too bloated, and our csh has most of the bug fixes from tcsh.
You are moving to the slippery slope of s/csh/tcsh/ and s/sh/bash/
which is not desirable...

What you can do on your systems, is to install tcsh and bash as packages
and make symlinks to them in /bin... But then if you make the root shell
either of them, you need to make sure that they are compiled statically
and that the packages are mounted in single user.

christos