Subject: Re: Netatalk
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Greg <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/2000 09:29:08
on 05/20/2000 5:16 PM, Bob Nestor at rnestor@augustmail.com is rumored to
have said:

> Greg wrote:
>
>> How do I make all this start at boot time?  I _was_ assuming (yeah I know)
>> that since it was in the pkg/etc dir that the rc.atalk would get read at
>> start time... it doesn't, where and _what_ do I need to add so that atalkd
>> starts at boot time...
>>
> /etc/rc.local is where your should put the commands used to start various
> packages at boot time.

This I actually knew, however since the netatalk package placed the rc.atalk
in /usr/pkg/etc, I thought that maybe we also had NetbSD look there at
startup....guess not..

>> Also, how do I add a point to be shared on my netbsd system?  for instance I
>> make a directory /shared that I want all users to be able to access
>>
> /etc/exports needs to be created which contains the information for NFS
> sharing.  For AppleTalk file shares you need to put the info in your
> AppleVolumes.default file which usually resides in /usr/pkg/etc after
> installing netatalk.  For Samba file sharing the information is in the
> file smb.conf which usually resides in /etc/samba.

Excellent info, thanks.  I was not able to find a AppleVolumes.default
anywhere on my system and installing the netatalk package, so I had to
create one..  So, for the purpose of a mailing list archive if someone is
looking for one  here is an example of mine

#
#volumes

~  #users home directory
/path/to/something "Name to see on Appleshare"
/path/to/something_else "Some Other Name to see on Appleshare
#
# type / creator mappings
.txt TEXT R*ch #BBEdit
.sit SITD SIT! #Stuffit
.img rohd ddsk #Apple Disk Copy
.mov MooV TVOD #Quicktime Movie

And for other newbies to netatlk (like me) you can place a .AppleVolumes
file config'ed like the above in a users home dir and it will override the
AppleVolumes.default in /usr/pkg/etc/

Next question, what is the difference between the netatalk package that I
installed via pkgsrc and the netatalk1.4b2+asun2.13 that I keep hearing
about, I assume that asun serves some purpose (over IP maybe?) and if so
where and how do I add asun to my current netatalk setup

Greg