Subject: Re: Netatalk
To: Greg <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/2000 16:16:51
Greg wrote:

>How do I make all this start at boot time?  I _was_ assuming (yeah I know)
>that since it was in the pkg/etc dir that the rc.atalk would get read at
>start time... it doesn't, where and _what_ do I need to add so that atalkd
>starts at boot time...

/etc/rc.local is where your should put the commands used to start various
packages at boot time.

>Also, how do I add a point to be shared on my netbsd system?  for instance I
>make a directory /shared that I want all users to be able to access

/etc/exports needs to be created which contains the information for NFS
sharing.  For AppleTalk file shares you need to put the info in your
AppleVolumes.default file which usually resides in /usr/pkg/etc after
installing netatalk.  For Samba file sharing the information is in the
file smb.conf which usually resides in /etc/samba.

>while I am on the subject of things that start at boot time, assuming I
>would like for X to come up autmatically I would ask again what to config
>here....I can use xdm to get it to come up, that is easy enough, but it
>always starts with TWM which is not what I want, as I have xinit configed to
>start with enlightenment when I type startx

You control the Window Manager you want to use with your .xsession file.
If you don't have one the xdm defaults will be used which will invoke twm.

>thanks for any help

hope it helps,
-bob