Subject: Re: FWD:Re: System Freeze on First Boot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/18/2000 01:07:14
Well, here I am trying this.
I first tried telling the booter to use a kernel that was sitting in the
same directory as the booter itself, still froze.
Then I pulled the Cache Card out, still froze.  In the same spot, right
after resetting the SCSI .

It seems to be after the SCSI is reset.  When it displays the "So I sez to
him... " part, it unmounts my external SyQuest.  No problem there, but as
soon as it is unmounted, is when the thing hangs.

I tried disconnecting the external SCSI entirely, and am still getting the
same results.  This is getting wierd.
I had NetBSD on this machine for a week a few months ago, but didn't have
time to messaround, so I reformatted.

Now tonight, I think I may have found the trouble.  It seems the SCSI
controller must have gone wonky!  The internal drive (either a 420mb or
80mb, whichever is plugged at that time) shows at ID 0 as it should.   But
no matter what I set my external SyQuest to, it shows up on ID 6  Currently
I have the SyQuest set to ID 3, but the IIci sees it as ID 6.  And if I try
adding my Zip drive to the equation, then the SyQuest won't show up at all,
and the ZIp shows on ID 6...even if it's switch is set to 5!!!

So, friends, this looks like it's not simply a software issue.  But time
for a little hardware troubleshoooting.  Joy!

-Jim