Subject: Re: PPPoE problem / Re: NetBSD Firewalls Made Easy
To: Jason Herber <jherber@advance.net>
From: Edward Lauman <elauman@interlynx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2000 09:20:53
The archive includes der Mouse's PPPoE package. I've emailed der Mouse
recently and he says the package is broken. It did work at one time,
albeit not well (i.e. 20kb/s) but several people applied patches and
subsequently broke the package. I don't know if that is what the problem
is, but it does suggest that the package is rather unusable. I was
planning to take a look at the code and start on a rewrite of the package
that would run in kernel mode only (much faster). I am a programmer, but
being new to NetBSD, I would need some answers about the networking system
it uses (I know it's based on 4.4BSD's networking model, but I need some
more specific information), if you or anyone you know can help me
understand how it works, I would be willing to give the rewrite a try. Ed