Subject: Re: Serial support on PB 540c
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/2000 09:33:21
>Does anyone know the status of serial support on the powerbook 5xx series?
>
>My powerbook has an internal modem and an external Printer/Modem
>port.  From MacOS, the external port works just fine, but from NetBSD
>serial port operations appear to hang the user process
>initiating them.
>
>If the external serial port is supported, is it named /dev/tty00,
>/dev/tty01, or something else?  (I have no intention of using the internal
>modem.)

Hmmm, on my PB 145B the internal modem is supported as below:

zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
zsc0 channel 0:  d_speed 57600 DCD clk 0 CTS clk 0 (raw defaults)
zstty0 at zsc0 chip type 0
zsc0 channel 1:  d_speed 9600 DCD clk 0 CTS clk 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1

What I don't know is whether the serial port even works with the
internal modem activated.  Seems to me I read that the external
serial port is disabled under MacOS if an internal modem is present,
but I couldn't swear to it.  Dunno if this is the case in NetBSD.
For the purposes of pppd, the internal modem is named tty00 in the
scripts for ppp.

>What I really want to do is configure NetBSD on the powerbook to use a
>serial console, but when I enable it from the booter, the machine hangs
>just after transferring control to the kernel but before the kernel can
>initialise the ite terminal.

I think you need to check the box in the Booter to power up the ports
before boot, in the same panel as you set the clock speeds for the
ports.  PowerBook ports don't seem to be powered by default (I'm
doing this from memory, BTW, so the details may not be quite right).

Hope this helps at least a little.