Subject: Re: System Freeze on First Boot
To: AstroZomby <astrozomby@antisocial.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/2000 12:06:36
On Mon, 15 May 2000, AstroZomby wrote:

> Now...the walkthrough shows setting the boot partition to NetBSD Root&Usr
> rather than a partition identifier like /dev/sda6  or /dev/sd0f or
> something like that.  Which is more what I remember from setting up MkLinux
> in the past.  That was more along the lines of sda5 rather than sd0 like
> this seems to use.
>
> The installer now seems to show the partitions as sd0a, sd0b, sd0c, etc.
> with sd0a being the root&usr part.
> Trying entering sd0a as the partition netted me a freeze where even my
> cursor disappeared.  entering /dev/sd0a gave me the same freeze, where my
> cursor just hangs.

If you set the type for the partiton to Root&Usr with Mkfs, you don't
have to enter a partition in the Booter. Try deleting the Booter prefs
from the System:Preferences folder before launching the Booter, and
then only enter the SCSI Id.

> But in any case.  Would this boot partition naming have anything to do with
> this freeze.?
> I know I have had NetBSD boot on this machine once before, the only
> difference hardware-wise is the monitor.  Previously it had an Apple15"
> monitor (one that came with a Performa 6360) and now it has this
> mono-Radius Pivot.
>
> Also, the hard drive is formatted with FWB 3.0, i've not had issues with
> this prior though, i just thought I'd make it known.

There have been issues in the past with all the little partitions that
FWB leaves, especially if you've used FWB to move partitions around
after creating them. That bug involved a crash in NetBSD, however,
whereas you're not even able to load the kernel.

Try copying a kernel to the Booter folder, either a plain kernel
(gzipped OK, but not tarred), or the ramdisk (instdisk) kernel, then
"boot from file", just to see how NetBSD likes the disk once you get
past the Booter. If you try it from a plain kernel (not the ramdisk),
you should check "prompt for root", and then enter sd0a at the prompt,
assuming you get that far.