Subject: Re: System Freeze on First Boot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@antisocial.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/2000 09:12:47
Unfortunately,
That is not it.  Serial console is not selected to on in the booter.

I checked a little.  I have
	BSD/Mac68k Booter v1.11.1
	NetBSD/Mac68k Installer v1.1g

Also, I ran good ol' TATTLETECH and found this in regards to my ethernet card:
	MacCon Ethernet
	Board ID = 8
	Vendor ID = Asante Technologies, Inc.
	Revision Level = Alpha 1.0
	Part # = MacCon Ethernet
If this means anything to anyone.

Now...the walkthrough shows setting the boot partition to NetBSD Root&Usr
rather than a partition identifier like /dev/sda6  or /dev/sd0f or
something like that.  Which is more what I remember from setting up MkLinux
in the past.  That was more along the lines of sda5 rather than sd0 like
this seems to use.

The installer now seems to show the partitions as sd0a, sd0b, sd0c, etc.
with sd0a being the root&usr part.
Trying entering sd0a as the partition netted me a freeze where even my
cursor disappeared.  entering /dev/sd0a gave me the same freeze, where my
cursor just hangs.

But in any case.  Would this boot partition naming have anything to do with
this freeze.?
I know I have had NetBSD boot on this machine once before, the only
difference hardware-wise is the monitor.  Previously it had an Apple15"
monitor (one that came with a Performa 6360) and now it has this
mono-Radius Pivot.

Also, the hard drive is formatted with FWB 3.0, i've not had issues with
this prior though, i just thought I'd make it known.

Hopefully someone has seen this behavior before.  This all seems very
bizarre to me.

-Jim