Subject: System freeze on First Boot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@antisocial.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/2000 01:45:43
Hello:

I've been lurking on this list for a while, and now have finally gotten
around to trying to make an install of NetBSD.

In any case, obviously, I'm having troubles, or I would not be posting them
here.

I'll start out by stating that I tried following the step by step
installation made available @
http://users.erols.com/ewinkler/installguide/installguide.html

All seems to go well until I actually get to the first boot now.  Here's
what happens.
I changed and reformatted the partitions with MKFS, and used the
NetBSD/Mac68k Installer to install the required items.
	kern.tgz
	base.tgz
	etc.tgz
	comp.tgz
after the install completed, built devices.

after a reboot to mac os 7.5.3, and launching the BSD/Mac68k Booter
set the correct SCSI ID.  0  for the hard drive.
set the BSD Device kernel name and partition as explained in the
installation guide at the aforementioned site.
set to single user mode.
on attemp to boot, from the booter, it gets as far as:
	"Bye-bye...
		So I sez to him...  The real way
		that it should be done is to..."

This is where it locks up the entire system.  No mouse response, and no
keyboard either.  Must restart by resetting the power.

I had it on this machine once before, but kept having monitor issues.  Now
I have a monitor dedicated to the IIci, hopefully I'll be able to make this
work.

Any help is appreciated....
Equipment specs below.

-Jim

Mac IIci
24Mb Built In RAM
Cache Card
Radius Pivot Display Model 0361, which runs fine with the IIci's built in
video (I get all 16 shades of gray!)
And, and Asante Ethernet card of some sort, unsure of model though.  I have
to dig out TattleTech or something.

MacIIci HD
ID 0; Part 1 = Partition Map                  Apple_Partition_Map
ID 0; Part 2 = Driver Objects                FWB Driver Components
ID 0; Part 3 = Active SCSI Driver          Apple_Driver43
ID 0; Part 4 = MacIIci HD                       Apple_HFS
	45mb
ID 0; Part 5 = /swap	                  Apple_UNIX_SVR2		48mb
ID 0; Part 6 = /                                     Apple_UNIX_SVR2
	310mb

 Jim Yanko                "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"