Subject: Re: Snapshot problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/2000 21:34:51
>Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>>Is that the generic-24 build?  If so, it doesn't boot on my PowerBook
>>145B either.  Or is this a different kernel?
>>
>No, this is the generic-26 build.  I suspect the generic-24 is the
>previous one which I'm about to try.

>  >With -24, There's a lot of clabber about every partition on the SCSI
>>drives that doesn't happen with the 1.4.2 generic kernel:
>>
>>"could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry"
>>
>Is this coming from the kernel or from the Installer?  There's a totally
>different set of I/O routines used here.

This is in the boot message stuff, using the Booter.  I don't get
these messages using the 1.4.2 kernel; 1.4.2 just calmly reports the
partitions and gets on with it.

>  >The boot process gets through reading the time from PRAM, notes that
>>it doesn't seem to be accurate, identifies the root file system type
>>as ffs, and then
>>
>>"panic:  cnopen:  cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV
>>
>Looks like the kernel couldn't recognize the disk partitions.  How did
>you do the install? Via Mkfs/Installer or thru the installation kernel?

I was attempting to boot the kernel from the MacOS partition using
the Booter, on a system that already runs 1.4.2 OK (PB 145B, except
for the lack of video support- in fact, I was trying the generic-24
in hopes of testing the video support so that I can use wscons and X).

>  >stopped in init at   _cpu_debugger+0x6  unlk  a6
>>db>"
>
>At least you got the kernel up and running before things went South.  I'm
>not even getting that far at this point. :-(

Man this stuff is complicated- and I don't even know the half of it!