Subject: Re: starting from scratch
To: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/2000 09:23:44
Hi Tony et al,

You’re right at 200%: computer users "never" read the books (user manuals) _AND
THEY’RE WRONG_. I make books, I fall previously in _that_ and spend (too much)
time because of that _once_; so now I first try to use if I’m comfortable And /
Or read the docs first if I’m not comfortable.

For your info, I download informations from:

a. http://www.flame.org/cgi-bin/uncgi/hman
b. ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/misc/lite2-docs/smm/
c. http://www.fr.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/index.html (11 files; dowloaded
many times)
d. users.erols.com/ewinkler/installguide/installguide.html (recently, thanks to
Erik Winkler) *
e. I wrote a MacOS man reader using REALbasic (nothing fancy) and try to read
the man pages from there.

I forgot some (I also buy a little French book “Understanding Linux in one week-end”).

* Booting NetBSD part, the figure under point 1, show "BSD device -> Partition"
field. I do not type anything there so I had troubles... Since I read he types
"NetBSD Root&Usr", I do the same and surprise, the boot isn't the same as of previous.

I spend an incredible time because I wasn't able to edit the rc.conf file; and
the Install files told us we have to change <rc_configured=NO> to
<rc_configured=YES>. In Mac OS, SimpleText let me do it in less than a minute;
in NetBSD, I tried so many times...

Last, two years after buying MkLinux, I discover that there are software in the
second CD. Why ? I was angry because it do not works, (I cannot make it works)
so I tryed many things and once I was able to boot it, I forgot to look around
about the software so I never run The Gimp for example !

HEY PEOPLE, I’m not complaining about anything; I want to learn - but at 46, I’m
a little bit tired to have to test <loop everything until I reach a solution> -
even if I have to read documentation, but it is not easy. What ? Nobody told me
that I must be easy ? You’re right, I was dreaming.

The best thing I saw in this list since I’m in (February 2000 ?) was:

<quote>