Subject: Re: starting from scratch
To: Greg <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/2000 15:59:12
On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 03:49:03PM -0400, Greg wrote:
> Perhaps we could have the listbot add a link to the FAQ or the searchable
> mailing list archives at the end of each message. A little one line
> thing...yeah it is annoying and eats up bandwidth (not much at least) but it
> might point people in the right direction for some of the FAQ's <g>

Though folks here do go to a certain amount of effort to help new
users, I'd never understand that as being the primary purpose of the
list, which is (rather) communication regarding the development of the
port. Seems silly to irritate those who are working along on some
portion of the port just to aid new users (who, in my experience of
mailing lists with such list-side tagline additions, would ignore the
aid more often than not).

Making the FAQ more prominent from within INSTALL is the best way to
get it noticed... something draconian about checking there before
asking questions that might already have been answered at the
beginning of the file would likely be enough.

> I still dunno where that damned searchable archive is....I always seem to
> lose it...

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/, scroll all the way to the bottom. I
don't believe there is a way to restrict your search to a specific
list, but that's probably a good thing (since a problem someone has
with a mac68k might be long solved on the m68k list, or similar).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net