Subject: Re: starting from scratch
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Greg <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/2000 15:49:03
on 05/06/2000 11:43 AM, Bob Nestor at rnestor@augustmail.com is rumored to
have said:

> Emile Schwarz wrote:
>
>> But things are not so dark; we must just have to want to stop for some times
>> (minutes or hours depending on the subject) and ask ourselves what was
>> show-stoppers when we were newbies; if we recall something, then we "just"
>> have
>> to take a bit of time to write the steps to go ahead (I mean write the
>> steps to
>> have the solution and go beyond that show-stopper). Another solution is to
>> ask
>> newbies on the list to send their recent troubles to a special address, then
>> after some days add a special documentation (tips for newbies); last
>> solution is
>> (once more to take sometimes to do it) to start a fresh installation from
>> scratch to a new machine and on a new hard disk; then note anything we
>> have to
>> do (to change to the default values) to be able to install, boot and at
>> last run
>> a piece of software.
>
> Many of the problems we've run into are addressed in the FAQ that Colin
> Wood wrote.  For a number of years he was taking questions and answers
> from the mailing list and putting them into the FAQ, and maybe it's time
> to review this to see if there are new problems that need to be added to
> the FAQ.  Unfortunately not many new users look for answers in the FAQ,
> they seem to assume that the answer to their specific problem or question
> should be in the installation documentation at the point where they
> experienced the problem.

Perhaps we could have the listbot add a link to the FAQ or the searchable
mailing list archives at the end of each message. A little one line
thing...yeah it is annoying and eats up bandwidth (not much at least) but it
might point people in the right direction for some of the FAQ's <g>

I still dunno where that damned searchable archive is....I always seem to
lose it...

Greg