Subject: Re: starting from scratch
To: Timberwoof <mroeder@best.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/2000 11:44:53
On Fri, 5 May 2000, Timberwoof wrote:

> >Of course the other thing is that some of us feel we are very close to a
> >new installation method for the mac68k port and don't want to spend much
> >more effort expanding on the current installation documentation.
>
> Sounds like fun! I take it you need some QA and documentation on this
> process? (No, really, I havn't done much yet on my NetBSD install, and I
> took notes along the way, so I'd happily start over. I have a Quadra 610
> with a 2GB hard drive.)

	It would be quite wonderful if you were willing to help out in
	this area!

	Frederico Lupi has written a new user guide in English and Italian
	http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html
	Its relatively i386 specific at the moment, but it would make
	a good focus for a general 'welcome to NetBSD' document.

> The "obvious" path in the NetBSD/Mac68k web site
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/) is a link to  the latest release
> (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/). The files there are
> *.tar.gz files and aren't the ones I want anyway.
>
> The next obvious path is to the NetBSD 1.4.2 release
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-1.4/) and from there the "obvious"
> link is Apple Macintosh (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/) which takes
> you back to the start. WTF?
>
> The correct path then is
> NetBSD page, mac68k link (http://www.netbsd.org/)
> NetBSD 1.4.2 link (http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-1.4/)
> Primary Site link (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/)
> ... [dig a bit deeper] ... (/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/mac68k/binary/kernel/)
> and here the files are indeed .gz files. Yay! So I'm up and running. I
> installed some packages. I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to
> get X to work or build a firewall instead.

	There is a 'how to get NetBSD' link on the main page, plus each
	port's homepage should have a 'downloading NetBSD 1.4.X via ftp'
	link in the directory at the base of the page. If you have any
	suggestions for shuffling things around to make it easier we're
	always interested :)

		David/absolute
				       -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --