Subject: Re: UNIX libs on PC or Mac
To: John Valdes <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/2000 19:15:02
John Valdes wrote:

>On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 11:05:05AM -0500, Joe Laffey wrote:
>> Anyone know if there are any C libraries for standard UNIX file functions
>(like
>> stat, etc.) that would allow easy porting of C code for NetBSD to the PC or
>Mac
>> command line?
>
>Codewarrior on the Mac (and probably Windows too) includes a library
>that implements (or noop()s) a number of Unix system calls.  See
>http://www.metrowerks.com/whitepapers/GNUC/GNU_CtoCodeWarrior.pdf for
>a list of available functions and misc porting info.

I seem to recall finding them in Borland and Vc++ too.  Look for a header
called "unistd.h".

CodeWarrior doesn't do the "system()" call, at least it didn't on Pro 4
which makes it difficult to build Windows/DOS utilities that invoke other
programs.  The serial port handling code is also hidden in some
non-obvious library/header in Pro4 and Pro5. As much as I like CW I seem
to always end up in Borland when doing Windoz stuff.

-bob