Subject: Re: starting from scratch
To: Timberwoof <mroeder@best.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/2000 18:16:51
>I think it's a documentation problem. The reference material is thorough
>enough ... if you know what you're doing. But there needs to be
>documentation for people who don't know what they're doing. "RTFM" is not
>enough.

I'm not trying to be defensive here, but I think it might help explain
why we're where we are with the installation documentation.

The problem, as you noted, is that getting started puts one on the steep
end of the learning curve right at the start.  However, once you get past
that point things start to appear to be "obvious" very fast, and even the
newest users soon quickly forget all the little steps they took to get to
where they are.  That makes it difficult to write good documentation from
the "newbie" point of view.  I think what we really need is to encourage
some of our newest users, like yourself, to try to help out with the
introductory documentation.  Your struggles are still very fresh in your
mind and your comments and additions to the installation documentation
would be very helpful for those who will surely be following you.

Of course the other thing is that some of us feel we are very close to a
new installation method for the mac68k port and don't want to spend much
more effort expanding on the current installation documentation.

-bob