Subject: Re: cannot mount root error??
To: Carl Bowden <carlbowden@mediasolutions.net.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/2000 00:18:14
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Carl Bowden wrote:

> Yes I have built devices and forced a fstab build. The mini
> shell in the installer finds the fs you can cd though it no
> problem. Just the kenal wont mount it.
> this is my fstab:
>
>    /dev/sd1a / ffs rw 1 1
>    /dev/sd1b none swap sw 0 0
>    kern /kern kernfs rw 0 0
>    proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
>
> any other ideas?
> thanks heaps for you help

Hmmm. Is the disk with NetBSD on it really sd1? "sd1" would be the
second scsi disk, and not necessarily the one with scsi id "1". The
Booter/Installer both use the scsi id -- they're ignorant of the
scheme the kernel uses.

You can see how the disks are identified by inspecting the console
output on boot-up. If you need to edit /etc/fstab to get the system to
boot, you could use the Installer's "cpout", edit it in MacOS (with a
text editor, SimpleText will add extra carriage returns), and "cpin".

Just for fun, the INSTALL kernels will mount a tiny ramdisk to give
you a single-user shell with no hard disk at all. (Actually, it comes
up in a menu, but you can exit to a shell.) Following the menu can be
risky to your MacOS/HFS partition, but all the utilities you need to
get boot-strapped -- disklabel, newfs, fsck, ed -- are available from
the shell.