Subject: init: can't get exec getty
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Timberwoof <mroeder@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/2000 22:05:05
Howdy!

I've just installed the next-to-latest release of NetBSD on my Quadra 610
(68040/25) and I've run into a problem during the Init phase. The error
message I get is this:

init: can't get exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyE0: no
such file or directory

The file /usr/libexec/getty exists.
The file /dev/ttyE0 exists.

I looked at the file /dev/ttys but I don't know enough about NetBSD (or
even Unix in general) to be able to spot the problem. I poked at it,
turning console on and ttyE0 off, but that didn't change the symptom.

I found a bug in the bugbase that seems to describe the same problem
(#8186), but the recommended fix is along the lines of "that's not supposed
to happen." Bug #7191 sugests running MAKEDEV all but that didn't change
the symptom at all.

So now I'm lost in the man pages on init, getty, ttys, gettytab, and so
forth. Help me?

--
Michael "Timberwoof" Roeder, Ice Hockey QA Engineer
mroeder@infernosoft.com -- http://www.infernosoft.com