Subject: Re: hanging while booting first time into NetBSD GENERIC-24
To: Jann Linder <jann@jann.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/2000 16:36:26
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Jann Linder wrote:

> I am attempting to install NetBSD onto a [DONT LAUGH]  PowerBook 520
> 36MB/500MB hard drive.
>
> I have run the installer and installed base.tgz and
> netbsd.GENERIC--24.tar.gz using NetBSD/Mac68K installer.  SINCE there is no
> instructions on WHAT else to install, This is all I have done.

You should install etc.tgz, too.

> I am using Booter 1.11.3 with system 7.5 Network system disk (Only chooser,
> network and appletalk extensions)
>
> My Hard drive is at SCSI0 /dev/sda
> My Mac Partition info takes /dev/sda0-7 (with the actual HFS partition on
> /dev/sda7 and my root partition for BSD on /dev/sda8 and swap on /dev/sda9)

That doesn't look right. In BSD, numbers distinguish the disk, while
the letters are for partitions, so the partitions on the one and only
disk will be /dev/sd0a for BSD Root or Root & Usr, /dev/sd0b for swap,
and /dev/sd0[d-h] for the HFS partitons. You must have set the
partition types with Mkfs already, right?

After installing the etc.tgz set, try "build devices" and "force
creation of new fstab" (menu options).

If that doesn't work, you could try one of the INSTALL kernels
(ramdisks) from the 1.4.2 distribution (probably
netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz). I'd put it in the same folder as the Booter,
and set the Booter to "Boot from file". The menu-driven install is not
well tested, and not guaranteed to preserve your HFS partiton, but
it's safe enough to "exit to shell", and run "disklabel" to see that
the disk is accessible and that NetBSD understands the partition map.