Subject: NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2000 17:04:01
Hi!

I'm a newbie in the UNIX world and NetBSD, having used Macs
exclusively since 1986.  I've been running 1.4.1 and now 1.4.2 on my
PowerBook 145B; and will be booting up -current as soon as my
workspace is cleared out.  It works well as a command-line interface
(which IMHO is the best thing for rank newbies like myself- we need
to know how the UNIX command line works before going to a GUI
interface), even though it isn't a specifically supported machine.

Anyway, I wanted to post my appreciation for the amazing work done by
the folks working on the port.  If anyone were keeping track, I'd bet
there are many thousands of dollars worth of development time that
have gone into the system up to this point, and it continues to
develop and grow.  Given Apple's closed mouth syndrome regarding
their hardware, the team has done a fabulous job of bringing BSD to
the Mac- it's stable, fast and confusing (I think the latter part
goes away after a while).  And it may just make my old PowerBook a
useful item again!