Subject: Re: Crashes on a Q840av
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Marek Kozubal <marek@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/2000 12:42:50
On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Are you sure you have enough SWAP space?  When the system runs out of
> SWAP it starts shedding processes.  It's not to picky about which ones it
> picks to kill, so if it happens to pick the "init" process you're left
> with a system that you can't log into.  This has happened to me a couple
> of times so I know it's possible, and the symptoms you describe are
> exactly what I experienced when this happened.

Here's my output from swapctl -l:

Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/dev/sd0b       163840        8   163832     0%    0

which is 80MB of swap, same as my memory, and it never seems to touch it
either, i dont think I've ever seen any of it really get "used".  Maybe
this is part of the problem?

This is after an uptime of over 2 days w/about 100 login/logouts...(X and
ssh connections)

This never happened on the Q610 which had less memory in it (40MB i think
w/80MB of swap) but I've added a few things since then, the backups and
the list server.

Well an interesting thing to look into none the less.

Is there any way to get a Q840av into the debugging prompt at this point,
it has no reset or debug switches, just the power key and I dont know if
CMD-Power will bring it up either?

Thanks!

Marek Kozubal                      marek@portents.com
Portents, LLC     www.portents.com http://www.portents.com/marek/
Personal Satellite Tracking System www.merlin.com / www.skyshow.com

            "What makes the universe so hard to understand is that
                    we have nothing to compare it to."