Subject: Re: Odd network trouble
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Prak <prak@WPI.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/2000 05:32:28
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Christopher P. Gill wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Prak wrote:
> > A IIci running NetBSD 1.4.1 stops responding to network requests from
> > machines outside of my internal network after about two hours without
>
> I occasionally saw this kind of trouble on my system (Quadra 800, NetBSD
> 1.4 GENERIC kernel, 500+520/40; 80MB swap).  Basically the machine
> [...]
> I haven't noticed my machine exhibiting the problem since I started
> running the seti@home and/or rc5 clients.  The regular network access
> probably prevents the TCP/IP 'staleness' from setting in.

It is good to know that it is not just a freakish problem with my
machine.  However, I would really like to be able to have a slightly
better solution then just a periodic ping, if that is possible.

Is there a way that I could safely make sure it is not a hardware problem
with my hub or card?  Right now I sort of suspect my hub because the
uplink light blinks, for each ping, but other lights do not.

If I could just be a little more secure about it not being hardware I
would feel much better about muddling my way through the code.  Thank you.

-prak
"And when the trial continued, they asked Prak a most unfortunate thing.
They asked him -- to tell the Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the
Truth.  Only don't you see?  They had given him too much of the drug!"