Subject: Re: Savecore error message
To: Kadari Mayson <kmayson@viconet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/2000 21:16:49
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Kadari Mayson wrote:

> This is nothing more than an annoyance, it does not affect the system at
> all, I'd just like to know what it means and how to correct it.  I get this
> error message during startup after an app crashed on me:
>
> savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Pread: Invalid argument

That should go away the first time the system takes a dump. (Or rather,
boots following a successful dump yield "savecore: no core dump".) I
know of no other way to set those fields in the beginning of the swap
partition to values that savecore likes, other than to take a dump
and clear it. If my recollection is correct, neither zeroing out the
swap partition with "dd", nor "savecore -c", will do it.

If you have no interest in the core dump at all, you could avoid the
message by setting "savecore=NO" in /etc/rc.conf.