Subject: Re: Improper domain name?
To: port mac 68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: dark3lf <dark3lf@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/2000 17:14:57
Yep now it seems that I can ftp and telnet into my box as I wanted to, I had
a proper IP in the /etc/hosts file, heh, I forgot the rest after 24.  I have
ip forwarding to another address.  It does seem however, that some apps like
Apache and tin won't work properly.  Whenever I start them, it quits and
gives me the "Can't find fully qualified domain name" error then quits.
Also identd wont initiate anymore after i switched over to DHCP.  Before,
when I had the box connected directly to the cablemodem, everything worked
fine.  When I try to start identd manually, it gives me this message:
in.identd: getpeername(): Socket operation on non-socket.

> Second, if you really have "24.x.x.x" literally in your /etc/hosts,
> that is drastically wrong. Dotted qauds can contain only numerals, no
> alphabetic characters allowed.
>
> Third, if you have an IP address internal to your LAN, that's what you
> should be using, not any kind of external IP address (or, worse, as
> you seem to be trying to do, a subnet address). The whole point of
> having an internal IP network is that your machine is unconcerned what
> its representation on the external network is - the NAT box that
> connects you to that internal network takes care of this for you.

Lesse, yeah DHCP is running, and resolves everything from the DHCP server.
Would a fully qualified domainname be my entire DNS (ex.
pikachu.evillittlecreatures.org)?  Ranked file before bind, eh?  Hmm.