Subject: Re: kde and enlightenment
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/2000 20:19:02
On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:28:02AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:22:30AM -0500, Super-User Extrodinaire wrote:
> >
> > This is not a fatal error.
> > Couldn't set video mode to desired depth.
> > I gather there is no video ROM driver present for this display.
> > Screen 0 at 0x4248000, 640 by 480, 16 bpp, rowB 2048, fbbase 0x4b60000.
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: enlightenment: libgif.so.3.0: No such file or directory
> > Couldn't open /dev/adb...
> > Fatal server error:
> > Device busy
> Are these error messages your seeing your your artsy-fartsy way of
> asking for help?

Wow, I can't type. "you're seeing or your".

Anyway, response seems to have gone straight to me, so I'll toss it in
here...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:53:37AM -0500, dark3lf wrote:
> Heh, I wholeheartedly agree.  I got a little click happy.  What I meant to
> ask was if anyone had experience with kde and enlightenment.  I am trying to
> use kde with enlightenment and would like to know how to do this.  In
> startkde, I added a line to exec enlightenment, got this error message,
> tried to locate libgif.so.3.0, couldn't find it, tried to find it elsewhere,
> still couldn't, even RTFM, still no dice.  Even scoured
> ftp.enlightenment.org, found libungif (which I already had).  So I was
> wondering how would I use these two packages?  Oh, I also got perl, in which
> dirs should these files live?  I get error messages when I do certian things
> saying that they can't find perl headers and libs.  And finally, what does
> the last message mean?  I know it's trying to open the keyboard driver,
> but....

First of all, I'm not sure you'll want to be using either KDE or
Enlightenment after you see how much like a dog they're going to run
on a 68k, but that's your business.

At a guess libgif.so.3.0 is just what it sounds like, the library for
opening graphics saved in the GIF (Graphic Interchange/General Image
Format - your choice on the first two words). At a further guess, it's
a Linux thing...

uriel:~% uname -a                                                          [13]
NetBSD uriel.eclipsed.net 1.4P NetBSD 1.4P (URIEL) #0: Sat Nov 27 01:06:44 EST 1999     gr@uriel.eclipsed.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/URIEL macppc
uriel:~% locate libgif                                                     [14]
uriel:~%                                                                   [15]

saffron:~% uname -a                                                         [1]
SunOS saffron.cs.swarthmore.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
saffron:~% locate libgif                                                    [2]
saffron:~%                                                                  [3]

winston:~ 418$ uname -a
Linux winston 2.0.36 #1 Tue Oct 13 22:17:11 EDT 1998 i686 unknown
winston:~ 419$ locate libgif
/usr/lib/libgif.a
/usr/lib/libgif.so
/usr/lib/libgif.so.3
/usr/lib/libgif.so.3.0.0
winston:~ 420$

Yep.

Did you install KDE and Enlightenment from the pkgsrc? If so, then the
packages would seem to be missing some important libraries (or, at
least, not be entirely up to date). Either that or libungif will work
just fine if symlinked at libgif, and you're supposed to figure that
out for yourself, whatever. Either way, according to libungif's pkgsrc
DESCR:

	Libungif is a giflib-compatible library and tools that
	saves GIFs using an uncompressed algorithm that avoids
	the Unisys patent on the LZW compression algorithm.

... so it might not be what you want for decoding (probably LZW
encrypted) GIFs after all. If that's the way things are, getting
libgif might be a problem (we don't really agree with Unisys muscular
licensing techniques).

I'm very unclear on the "Couldn't open /dev/adb..." part, since its
mode is supposed to be 666 (at least, according to *my* /dev/MAKEDEV),
and I'd say it's probably just misunderstood fallout from the error
opening the library (unless your /dev/adb has a different mode, in
which case either chmod it or run /dev/MAKEDEV, on the premis that
other things might be screwy).

That last "Device busy." complaint might be a lingering problem - not
positive if startkde plays nicely with wscons. (We're using wscons in
mac68k now, aren't we?)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

PS, KDE and Enlightenment are both silly. All you need is [v]twm. :^>