Subject: Re: configure firewall with ipchains
To: Franck Chionna <blokos@worldnet.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/2000 14:36:05
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Franck Chionna wrote:

> hi,
>
> i had no success to configure my virtual IP address to permit the work enter
> in my local network..
>
> my machine has 192.168.1.254, in local ip, PPP dynamic in Internet IP,
> and 192.168.1.200 : 5500 in virtual IP...i think the protocol  is TCP and UDP

As Miles mentioned, your terminology is a bit confusing.

NetBSD does not have ipchains, whatever they are.

NetBSD DOES have both ipfilter and ipnat. ipfilter is designed for
filtering ip connections. ipnat is for IP Network Address Translation.

If I understand what you want to do, I think you want ipnat. There is a
how-to information on the NetBSD web site.

What I do at home is use a NetBSD machine with an ethernet card and a
modem. The modem dials into my ISP and gets a dynamically-assigned
address. Then my powermac, mac68k, and (if we configured software a bit
different) the windows box can all connect to the outside world using the
modem.

All of the non-modem machines have addresses in the 10.X.X.X range. :-)

The only trick is that you have to use passive-mode ftp, but that's no big
deal.

Take care,

Bill