Subject: Re: grf0 and Amaya Web Browser
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2000 12:25:26
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, darknesssss wrote:
>

> > Has anyone compiled and used Amaya Browser for the mac68k?  This is the only
> > decent browser I could find for NetBSD.  I would like some opinions before I
> > attempt a compile.  Thanks in advance!!
>
> there is "arena" in the packages collection.  Its a graphical browser, but
> I haven't really used it.

I've got arena working on mac68k. It looks good, but it's a little
squirrely for general use--it chokes consistently on certain pages.

<rant> The real problem with the web is the javascript epidemic. Arena
display embedded code it doesn't understand raw, including javascript.
This looks OK for small html errors, but pages and pages of javascript
looks really ugly. Javascript doesn't even work that well for
Netscape's own browsers--the same pages that kill Arena causes my
Win95 laptop to freeze, and mozilla-m13 for NetBSD builds, but chokes
on the javascript for drawing it's own toolbar. </rant>

> As far as amaya, I started to make a package for it and just never
> finished. I don't recall having any major compile issues though.

I got a cvs checkout of libwww to build and install (including the
"www" line mode browser), and I was going to try to build Amaya
(probably the development version, as well) against that. I really
like the idea of sharing libwww with several different programs.

Lynx is really quite good. It's stable in the face of the most bizarre
html/javascript, although you won't see much. If you run it under X,
you can even set it up to invoke an alternate browser at the touch of
a key.

Another good try is chimera <http://www.cs.unlv.edu/chimera/>. I've
started working on a package,
<ftp://ftp.enteract.com/users/fb/NetBSD/pkgsrc/www/chimera-1.70p0.tar.gz>,
but it needs more work: 1) the package should install sample configs
into ${PREFIX}/share/chimera, and not overwrite the working configs in
${PREFIX}/etc, and 2) chimera was billed, on PNG-centric page, as
being able to support png, but I haven't figured out how to do that.
There's also a development version of chimera.