Subject: Re: Quadra 605 video problem
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@erols.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/2000 10:48:25
Steve Revilak wrote:

> > I've just installed 1.4.1 on a Quadra 605 (with full 040).  The machine
> > boots up fine and I even have ethernet.  Unfortunately the video is
> > scrambled whenever the video scrolls past the bottom of the screen.  I
> > also only have use of the bottom 3/4 of a 14" mac monitor.  I've tried
> > both generic kernels and even compiled my own, but the problem still
> > exists.
>
> With newer booter rev's one of the options is "Machine ID".  The default
> value for your is probably 94 or 95.  Try 89 (LC 475 -- pretty much the
> same machine under a different name.)
>
> That solved it for me.  Your mileage may vay (but hopefully not :-).
>
> Good luck!
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Steve Revilak
> revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu

Thanks Steve,

That was the problem.  The kernel didn't know how to initialize the
console.  All I had to do was add

                case MACH_MACQ605:
                case MACH_MACQ605_33:

to the grf_obio.c file in the kernel source. The current version of the
kernel source contains these lines, but my src.tgz archive was missing these
lines.  Now machine id 94 works just fine.  I expect 95 will also work.

Erik