Subject: Re: Booter options for nfs-booting
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2000 12:29:17
Miles Nordin wrote:

>  * It is difficult to write anything on mac68k because Apple is
>    notoriously unhelpful in providing documentation, even now that they
>    are parroting ``it's an Open Architecture!'' at every opportunity.
>    This is why we don't have working sound or floppy disk drivers for
>    _any_ Macintosh, and why the support for IOP-based Mac's is so shabby,
>    as well as why the bootstrap intricacies are so poorly understood on
>    mac68k.

while i've got to agree that writing anything on mac68k is a bit
difficult, i've got to disagree about the floppy drivers.  i'm fairly sure
that hauke's code does work for the older macs (it probes properly on my
q700, but the drive is bad so i can't test it anyway ;-)  as for sound, i
do actually have working /dev/audio code for easc-based macs.  it is a
little scratchy at times, but it does play basic .au files.  i haven't
released it because it hasn't been updated to use the new trigger
interface yet (mainly because the new interface wasn't documented until
yesterday, so i didn't know exactly how it worked), but with luck i may be
able to point people to something soon...

later.

colin