Subject: Re: Setting up X
To: Dirk Hoppe <Netzhaut@t-online.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2000 13:17:31
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Dirk Hoppe wrote:

> I installed the Xmac68_color and it works fine with the internal video of=
 my
> Quadra.

Excellent.

> Now I want to make my own set of windows and change Xmodmap (Thanx to Hau=
ke
> Fath for his puzzle work on the german keyboard!). I copied xinitrc, twmr=
> and Hauke Fath=B4s Xmodmap to my /home, named them .xinitrc, .twmrc, .Xmo=
dmap,
> edited them and made them mine. When I login now as user and start X with
> startx the default windows appear and not the expected new ones.

I beleive ~/.xinitrc has to executable. Try "chmod a+x ~/.xinitrc".
Also, if you set

XENVIRONMENT=3D~/.Xresources ; export XENVIRONMENT

in ~/.xinitrc, you can modify .Xresources without having to run
"xrdb", as it will then be parsed whenever any Xlib app starts.

> Did I
> forgot something? Are there any FAQs or manpages which explain setting up=
> in an easy way?

xinit(1) is fairly straightforword--you should read that first.
There's a NetBSD FAQ at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/x/index.html>, and I've found
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html> useful and illuminating.
There are also the comp.window.x* newsgroups, but they're not
necessarily for beginners.

Reality is that, which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-Philip K. Dick