Subject: Re: Adding partitions
To: Kadari Mayson <kmayson@viconet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2000 11:43:48
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Kadari Mayson wrote:

> I have a dedicated BSD drive with free space, is it ok to
> re-partition the drive?  Or is this what we call "destructive"
> re-partitioning?  Will it completely screw up my existing
> partitions?  Why isn't there a non-destructive partition utility
> for the mac like Partition Magic for the PC.  PM is verry sweet
> and easy to use.  Is it because it's not possible on the Mac or
> that no one cares enuff to write one?  Seems to me that FBW,
> long-time Mac supporter and harddrive utility authors would come
> up with a scheme.  Oh well.

All the Mac partitioning tools allow "non-destructive"
re-partitioning, pilot errors excepted. If you don't want to move or
change anything else, you could simply use Mkfs to change the free
space to a "NetBSD Usr" partition. It's not possible to resize an ffs
partition, but if you have the space you can mirrors partitions with
"dump" and "restore" and  rearrange things.

Reality is that, which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-Philip K. Dick