Subject: Re: upgrading from NetBSD 1.3.1 to 1.4.x
To: Tom Tarka <tommy@mp3.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2000 00:36:59
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Tom Tarka wrote:

> This might sound crazy, but I have a IIcx running NetBSD 1.3.1 that
> I want to upgrade to 1.4.x, but I don't have physical access to the
> machine so I'd like to try to do it remotely.

	Sounds reasonably crazy :)

> Since I have 2 partitions on my drive, mounted at / and /usr/local, I'm
> thinking I could move everything to the / partition, install on the
> /usr/local disk, and reboot...ack! But I can't because my booter will
> be pointed at the wrong directory, right?

	You _could_ install the new kernel, reboot, then the new userland
	and reboot again.. It _might_ work :/

> Any ideas on how to do this, or even how to remotely upgrade
> to 1.3.2 or something?  Seems like there are lots of binary pkgs
> around for mac68k for 1.3.2 but not for 1.3.1, and this is a stumbling
> block.

	1.3.X binary packages should be compatible across 1.3 1.3.1 or
	1.3.2

	To upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2 you should be able to extract all
	the sets (except etc) while its running.

> Alternately, if the above is possible, and all I have to do is have the
> change the partition that the booter points at, I could probably have
> someone at the box's physical location (a few states away) do that
> for me...

	If you have a spare disk, you could install on it and ship it to
	them :)

		David/absolute