Subject: Re: 2 mac-addresses on same nic?
To: Vasco Steinmetz <v.steinmetz@tu-bs.de>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/2000 14:38:31
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Vasco Steinmetz wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> the mac-address of my "Apple Ethernet LC Twisted Pair" MacLC2-PDS-card
> is in NetBSD 1.4.1 different from that in MacOS 8.1 (OpenTransport)?

Ewww.  There was a weird byte reversal issue with some of those, but I
thought that OT fixed it.  I'd say NetBSD is probably the one that's wrong
here, but not positive.

> I successfully booted NetBSD 1.4.1 on a Performa 475 (without FPU and a
> single 160M Quantum drive) via BOOTP/NFS from my linux-server (yes! it
> works, although it took me some time to create the /devs under linux
> ;-).
>
> OT reports "00:05:02:52:34:72" in the info-box and NetBSD reports upon
> boot "sn0 at nubus0 slot e address 00:a0:40:4a:2c:4e"
>
> I just came across this because my dhcp-server leased two ips to two
> different mac-addresses and I haven't much equipment lying around
> here...
>
> Anybody an idea?

Well, I know how you'd do it in linux.  I've never tried it under BSD.
Under linux, you set up an alias with 'ifconfig eth0:0 aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd up'
and then add the appropriate route.

Ah.  Just found it in the ifconfig man page.  Looks like the BSD syntax is

ifconfig ae0 alias aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd up

or something close to that....  Man page isn't quite clear.  (Obviously,
replacing ae0 with sn0 or whatever if appropriate).

David