Subject: Re: Some newbie questions ... please help
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2000 21:22:35
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Allen Briggs wrote:
>
> > >     2.  I also have an Epson 740 printer attached to my PowerMac and
> > >         that too currently can used from the MacOS side.  It will not
> > >         work on the MkLinux side because the kernel does not support
> > > 	the baud rate needed by the printer (230400 Kbaud minimu).  Is
> > >         this printer supported ?

Depends on if ghostscript (or other drivers) support the 740. ?? (asks
someone who has a 740... :-)

> > I don't think there are any 68k macs that could keep up with that
> > printer.  I don't recall 230,400 being supported until the PowerMacs
> > came along, although there might be a chance with the IIfx, Q900/950,
> > or AV machines.  To get that speed, I think you need an external clock
> > signal.  Bill Studenmund might have a better answer for you, though.

As everyone has mentioned, you can do it. :-)

Transmitting is fine. Receiving A LITTLE DATA is ok too. The problem is
the chip only has a 3-byte fifo. If you don't send more than 3 bytes
before the driver can empty the fifo, you're ok. So like a once-every-
other-second status byte like DeskWriters (well older ones) send is ok.

> There was a report of someone doing that on an II class machine,
> although he said the machine was practilly wedged until the print job
> completed. Should work slightly better with a 650. You cannot receive
> at that speed without losing characters, but sending should work,
> albeit it monopolizes the processor.

That would be my concern, though I think a 650 would be a bit better.

Take care,

Bill