Subject: Re: Some newbie questions ... please help
To: Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul@kirsun.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2000 11:54:25
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Mehul N. Sanghvi wrote:

>     2.  I also have an Epson 740 printer attached to my PowerMac and
>         that too currently can used from the MacOS side.  It will not
>         work on the MkLinux side because the kernel does not support
> 	the baud rate needed by the printer (230400 Kbaud minimu).  Is
>         this printer supported ?

Should work. You'll need  1.4.2_ALPHA or newer.

>      3. Are there any known problems with Quadra 650 (like the loss of
>         time stuff that was being discussed in January (from the
> 	archives) ?

The 650 will be a lousy time-keeper, yes. I have an 840AV, which is
one of the worst, and it can be kept to within ~10s by running timed
in slave mode to a local master.

>      4.  I will probably end up using it as a IP Masquerading box also
>          (I have a cable modem).  I assume NetBSD supports cable modem
> 	 and masquerading (at least from the documentation on the
> 	 website it seems to).

There's nothing special about a cable-modem, vs. any other router.
"masquerading" == ipnat. To do a decent job of it, though, you'll
probably need another interface, such as a NuBus ethernet card.

>      5.  Last time I used a BSD system was way back in 1992 (Ultrix
>          and SunOS).  Then Solaris came out and DEC used OSF/1.  And
> 	 now I use Linux at home, work and Solaris at work.  How much
> 	 have things changed since then ?

It's a lot better...