Subject: Re: Some newbie questions ... please help
To: Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul@kirsun.ne.mediaone.net>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2000 12:32:27
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Mehul N. Sanghvi wrote:

> 'allo,
>
>     I currently do not have NetBSD installed but will more then likely
> be getting a Quadra 650 (for free) from a friend and was planning to
> run NetBSD on it and keeping my PowerMac 7100 a MkLinux/MacOS system.
> I needed some questions answered and was wondering if you folks could
> help.
>
>     1.  I have a scsi-scanner which I currently can only use on the
>         MacOS side of my PowerMac since MkLinux does not have support
> 	for generic scsi (or so i was told).  The scanner is an UMAX
>         Astra 1200s.  Is this supported by NetBSD ?

yes.  Use the sane package.  I use a 1220s and it works well.  I use xsane
as a gimp plug in.  You can also run xsane alone, or even scan from the
command line.  See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/ for info
on software for NetBSD.

don't know about 2 and 3

>      4.  I will probably end up using it as a IP Masquerading box also
>          (I have a cable modem).  I assume NetBSD supports cable modem
> 	 and masquerading (at least from the documentation on the
> 	 website it seems to).

yes.  I use my Mac IIci for this purpose.  It helps to have 2 network
cards (1 to the cable modem and the other to your LAN).  Its IP-NAT
(network address translation) you want.

>      5.  Last time I used a BSD system was way back in 1992 (Ultrix
>          and SunOS).  Then Solaris came out and DEC used OSF/1.  And
> 	 now I use Linux at home, work and Solaris at work.  How much
> 	 have things changed since then ?

they've gotten much  better!

-Dan