Subject: Some newbie questions ... please help
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul@kirsun.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2000 12:06:36
'allo,

    I currently do not have NetBSD installed but will more then likely
be getting a Quadra 650 (for free) from a friend and was planning to
run NetBSD on it and keeping my PowerMac 7100 a MkLinux/MacOS system.
I needed some questions answered and was wondering if you folks could
help.

    1.  I have a scsi-scanner which I currently can only use on the
        MacOS side of my PowerMac since MkLinux does not have support
	for generic scsi (or so i was told).  The scanner is an UMAX
        Astra 1200s.  Is this supported by NetBSD ?

    2.  I also have an Epson 740 printer attached to my PowerMac and
        that too currently can used from the MacOS side.  It will not
        work on the MkLinux side because the kernel does not support
	the baud rate needed by the printer (230400 Kbaud minimu).  Is
        this printer supported ?

     3. Are there any known problems with Quadra 650 (like the loss of
        time stuff that was being discussed in January (from the
	archives) ?

     4.  I will probably end up using it as a IP Masquerading box also
         (I have a cable modem).  I assume NetBSD supports cable modem
	 and masquerading (at least from the documentation on the
	 website it seems to).

     5.  Last time I used a BSD system was way back in 1992 (Ultrix
         and SunOS).  Then Solaris came out and DEC used OSF/1.  And
	 now I use Linux at home, work and Solaris at work.  How much
	 have things changed since then ?

cheers,

   mehul (looking forward to going back to BSD)

     - Indira Gandhi
     stolen from Ben Laurie on the FSB list.