Subject: Re: Quadra 840av support
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/2000 23:14:29
> i'd say a fair amount of effort might be required, as you'd have to
> figure out how to access the PSC to get it to do the SCSI transfers.  we
> should already have DMA code for the esp driver written (the sparc port

These are the same type of I/O controllers as the IIfx right?

Those were 65C02-based microcontrollers, I think from NEC, so it might
be possible to get proper datasheets for them.

You may need to do something on the order of reverse-engineering a gameboy,
and dissect the firmware image that the controller runs. Apple used 65C02
based controllers for lots of peripherals during that era:

    - The built-in controller for the "UniDisk" external 3.5" floppy
    - The built-in controller for the ImageWriter II printer
    - The motherboard ADB interface of the Apple IIgs
    - The motherboard disk interface of the Apple //c+
    - The "Apple II Workstation Card" (65C02+SCC, it put localtalk on a //e)
    ... I'm sure there were others.

I've got examples of most of the above at home, and some docs, plus I used
to be active in the net community that was passing around reverse-engineered
docs about such hardware.

(I created the caltech.edu a2ftp site back in '90; we featured a few docs on
the site. Some of our IWM example source code may still be there. I'm told
the site still exists and is served from a Linux machine in the dorms now.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com